What’s driving demand for clean label?
With SupplySide East just around the corner, we wanted to talk about the often misunderstood topic of Clean Label. It’s been clear for a long time that consumers are concerned about what’s in their food and where it comes from, pushing many businesses to reformulate their products. But what’s driving demand for clean label?
The deterioration of trust in large organizations and our food system may be one of the single largest consumer trends defining our market.
Today’s consumer is more aware of the impact of commerce on their health as well as on social and environmental health.
This sense of distrust and growing consumer awakening results in:
- A sense of fear of the ‘devil is in the details’ of how their food is made
- A desire to do better for themselves and their family
- An increasing appetite for information
This mix of motivations drives:
- Distrust of anything that isn’t transparent or clear, or that the consumer cannot evaluate for themselves
- Demand for clarity, simplicity, transparency
- Willingness to expend more effort or pay more for products that address these fears and build trust
This is the foundation of the Clean Label movement.
To learn more about the clean label movement, contact us – or if you’re attending SupplySide East, don’t miss the NEXT Data & Insights team live in action during the Top 10 Trends Driving the Health & Nutrition Industry education session.